The 2022 application period is NOW OPEN and will close January 20th at 11:59 p.m. ET
For the 2022 WLI, attendance at our in-person trainings is mandatory*. There will be a two-day training in Alexandria, VA May 11-12, with optional half-day May 10. We will also have a one-day workshop at WEFTEC on Sunday, Oct. 9 in New Orleans. Exceptions will be made on a case by case basis. If your company cannot support the tuition/travel costs, there is an option to be considered for a scholarship in the application process.
The 2022 application will be reviewed based on the answer to the following five questions and reference letter.
- Please provide a short introduction / biography of yourself so we can get to know you. [consider including information related to your education, career path, current employer, job function(s), extracurricular activities, and/or hobbies]. (100 Word Limit)
- Please describe why you would like to be a part of the 2022 Water Leadership Institute and what you most hope to gain through participation in the program. (100 Word Limit)
- Please describe your extracurricular involvement in your community/industry [consider including your membership(s), committee involvement(s), and/or leadership role(s) in professional, community, or other organizations; as applicable highlight your service accomplishments]. (100 Word Limit)
- Please tell us about a leader that you admire and how (and/or why) they have impacted your career in the water industry. (100 Word Limit)
- Please describe how a leader can enhance engagement and promote employee retention in our changing working world [consider including information related to changes in our work environment (remote, hybrid, in-person), inclusion and/or diversity in our workforce] (150 Word Limit)
To assist the Selection Committee, please provide a 1-page Letter of Reference from an individual (relatives are excluded) that has direct experience with your leadership qualities, characteristics, and capabilities. This letter should include at least two reasons why you should be accepted into this program. Note: The file should be uploaded as a pdf and named: LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME-RefLetter.
The 2022 application period is now closed and notifications on acceptance will go out in early March.
*In-person attendance in mandatory assuming things will still be held in person. In 2020 and 2021, the in-person workshop in Alexandria events had to be converted into fully virtual events. If we must do the same in 2022, then we will strive to keep the virtual dates over the same time-period.
Learn how the WLI helped make these almuni better stormwater professionals.
"Due to COVID-19, the 2020 WLI program has pivoted to become fully virtual this year. Nevertheless, its impact on future water leaders remains unchanged and resounding. During these uncertain times, WLI 2020 has not only offered professional development opportunities, but also a virtual learning community and a platform for fostering support and growth. Amongst other things, COVID-19 has taught us how to be resilient, flexible, resourceful, and innovative—all qualities of a successful leader. In spite of social distancing, the pandemic has not hampered the collaborative spirit of the 2020 cohort nor its intrinsic will to give back to the community."
Research Assistant/Doctoral Student
UNC Chapel Hill
"As an Operator, the WLI has shown me a side of the industry that I was never aware of or ever paid attention too. Working at a treatment plant focused on day to day operations; I was blind to how vast and divers it actually is. The arrangement of students ranged from operators, engineers, suppliers and scientist. The mixture of the groups and interactions really brought everything together and shined a new light on how I view the wastewater industry. It made me even more proud of what I do. The speakers and topics were really great and easy to relate to despite any position you’re in. If there was a part 2 I would be on it in a heartbeat!"