WEF Discussions — Now on LinkedIn!

WEF is pleased to announce the creation of free LinkedIn groups associated with its technical discussion forum topics. Through these LinkedIn groups, members will be able to view and participate in discussions, as well as communicate with one another via direct messages. Share your experiences and knowledge, ask questions and respond to other discussions as frequently as you like!

You must have a LinkedIn profile to join a LinkedIn group; you can create your profile here. If you already have a LinkedIn profile, all you need to do is submit a request to join one or all of the following groups:

Water Environment Federation (Main) | Biosolids | Collection Systems | Nutrients | Stormwater 
Utility Management | Water Reuse | Water for Jobs | Watershed Management | Laboratory Practices 

RSS Feed Print
In line nutrient monitoring
mford
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2011 3:32 PM

Good morning

I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on inline continious phosph or ammonia monitoring specifically:

Small paper mill WWTP/Activated sludge/50% to a covered pure oxygen basin followed by a secondary clarifier. 50% to a sequential batch reactor or ICEAS system. bod loading varies significantly over any given day or hour. effluent tss also and often reaches into the lower hundreds ppm. nature of waste stream requires the addition of both ammonia and phosphrous for treatment in roughly the 100/5/1-bod/ammon/phosph ratio. feed rates are currently adjusted according to lab testing several times per day. obviousely not ideal but I believe if we could find a cost effective and reliable system for monitoring either parameter with porpotional 4-20 outputs we could significantly stabilize nutrients to more closely follow actual demand in real time which would improve bio-mass health/reduce under/over feeding and the problems associated with same/ and better support a system that does not have 24/7 coverage. I also understand that real world performance and maintinance requirements rarely meet manufacturer claims but I would like as dependable/maintinance/calibration/cleaning etc free as possible.

Any and all thoughts would be welcome and thank you in advance.

Thomas Eckhoff
Posted: Wednesday, July 6, 2011 9:16 AM

What test do you to (COD?) to determine nutrient requirement for organic loading? It might be better to do on-line TOC and develop an algorithm for nutrient addition. You can then take effleunt/basin grab samples and do simple N & P test (like Hach) to assure you are meeting the nutrient demand.