WEF Discussions — Now on LinkedIn!

WEF is pleased to announce the creation of free LinkedIn groups associated with its technical discussion forum topics. Through these LinkedIn groups, members will be able to view and participate in discussions, as well as communicate with one another via direct messages. Share your experiences and knowledge, ask questions and respond to other discussions as frequently as you like!

You must have a LinkedIn profile to join a LinkedIn group; you can create your profile here. If you already have a LinkedIn profile, all you need to do is submit a request to join one or all of the following groups:

Water Environment Federation (Main) | Biosolids | Collection Systems | Nutrients | Stormwater 
Utility Management | Water Reuse | Water for Jobs | Watershed Management | Laboratory Practices 

RSS Feed Print
chemical phosphorus removal using alum
david
Posted: Tuesday, April 5, 2011 11:18 AM

i am looking for some basics on beginning phosphorus removal using alum.

i am working with a small state park facility that gets loaded heavy on weekends - especially from RV dump station wastewater.

chemical addition point is in mixing zone of final clarifier

i think i need basic help on determining the starting point for chemical

addition. using alum is the beginning dosage for an influent of ~ 8 mg/l P in the raw. chemical feed pumps are oversized and the alum has been diluted in order to maiintain prime on the pumps.

the effluent limit is 1.0 mg/l

while i could simply give it more alum i would like to understand the chemistry of where to start and how to calculate the proper dose and feed rate.

appreciate any guidance and direction

david

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, April 7, 2011 1:54 PM

David,

A good starting point would be to run a series of jar-tests on your mixed liquor to determine the optimum dose of chemical. If you don't have experience running jar-tests and/or the jar-test equipment is not available, you have a couple of options. 1) Contact another wastewater treatment plant or water treatment plant in your area to see if they can bring their jar test equipment (if they have it) to your location and conduct a few tests. Note: Would advise against taking samples to their location as physical properties of the sample could change during transport. 2) Contact a chemical supplier and ask them to come to your location w/ their jar tester. Most will do this at no charge. Also, while they are there, you should have them evaluate (in addition to the Aluminum Sulfate) alternative chemicals including Aluminum Chloride, Ferric Chloride, Magnesium Chloride, and Polyaluminum Chloride. One may work better than the other at an overall lower cost, particularly if you currently have to feed a chemical to raise ph/alkalinity.  If you run into dead-end on both of these options, respond back and I can walk you through conducting a simple version of a jar-test that will help get you to where you want to be.  I've been through this many times as part of plant start-up's and troubleshooting.

Good luck!

Doug