WEF Discussions — Now on LinkedIn!

WEF is pleased to announce the creation of free LinkedIn groups associated with its technical discussion forum topics. Through these LinkedIn groups, members will be able to view and participate in discussions, as well as communicate with one another via direct messages. Share your experiences and knowledge, ask questions and respond to other discussions as frequently as you like!

You must have a LinkedIn profile to join a LinkedIn group; you can create your profile here. If you already have a LinkedIn profile, all you need to do is submit a request to join one or all of the following groups:

Water Environment Federation (Main) | Biosolids | Collection Systems | Nutrients | Stormwater 
Utility Management | Water Reuse | Water for Jobs | Watershed Management | Laboratory Practices 

RSS Feed Print
Small Centrifuge Needed....HELP!
Keith Chapman
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 2:56 PM

Our facility has been using IEC centrifuges for decades.  Now that we need to replace one of them we have ordered a Thermo IEC CL2 unit through Fisher Scintific only to find that it is on some sort of purgatorial backorder status by the manufacturer.  Does anyone have a suitable substitute centrifuge that can be used for 15 ml tubes, most often for making TSS estimates on MLSS and TWAS samples.  HELP!

bsims
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2010 3:37 PM

Keith,

I have a centrifuge sitting on a shelf collecting dust.  We used to use it for spinning down Chlorophyll-a samples in 15-ml conical tubes, but we subcontract those now and I swear I will resign if forced to start doing them again.  It is old, analog, and is not even close to being in the same league as the one you ordered, but it does work.  It has very simple operation (on/off, with a dial for a timer, and no speed control).  It is free to a good home, provided that you are willing to pay for the shipping costs.  Email me at bsims@anra.org and I can send you pictures.

If you aren't interested, I will make it available to anyone else who wants it under the same terms (the equipment is free, you pay the shipping costs).  My boss is in one of his "throw out all of this stuff you aren't using" moods, so if no one takes it, it will probably end up at the county landfill.  If someone (anyone) could get some use out of it, I'd much prefer "recycling" it that way than just discarding it.