WEF Discussions — Now on LinkedIn!

WEF is pleased to announce the creation of free LinkedIn groups associated with its technical discussion forum topics. Through these LinkedIn groups, members will be able to view and participate in discussions, as well as communicate with one another via direct messages. Share your experiences and knowledge, ask questions and respond to other discussions as frequently as you like!

You must have a LinkedIn profile to join a LinkedIn group; you can create your profile here. If you already have a LinkedIn profile, all you need to do is submit a request to join one or all of the following groups:

Water Environment Federation (Main) | Biosolids | Collection Systems | Nutrients | Stormwater 
Utility Management | Water Reuse | Water for Jobs | Watershed Management | Laboratory Practices 

RSS Feed Print
Number of Lab Analysts
Lab1Man
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2010 12:18 PM

Not sure if this is the best arena in which to inquire about this, but first a little background:

We are a wastewater treatment plant in Georgia. We currently have 2 lab analysts (the only 2 people in our lab). One of the analysts is retiring and there is some scuttlebutt about that his position may be made a part time position.

I may be wrong about this, but I thought that the EPD and not the municipality actually sets the number of people required to run a lab and I thought that at least 2 people needed to be in a lab at all times.

I can't find any info about this. Hopefully someone can shed some insight. Thanks for any help.

bsims
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2010 3:52 PM

I don't know about specific rules and requirements, but ideally you would want two people in the lab at all times for safety reasons (working with acids, someone getting overwhelmed by fumes, cuts from broken glassware, etc.).

I used to have 2 lab techs working for me.  Now that we are under NELAP, I have 2 administrative assistants who occasionally have enough time to stop documenting the tests long enough to actually run a few.

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2010 5:39 PM

I thought it had to do with work load. I don't know how many BOD(or other high time tests) you run a week, but if you have to run more than two sets a week I would think you would need two people. If you are a NELAC lab just double the numbers, kill some trees, and take some prozac!

Mark

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 8:25 AM

I work at the main wastewater treatment plant (16MGD) for the local parish government and we have one smaller plant (8MGD) plus 9 small package plants that we do all the analysis for. The main plant runs 365 days a year so we have a lab tech in the lab everyday. Monday - Friday we have 2 techs  and we split the weekends and holidays. I have on occassion worked the lab by myself for up tp 3 months at a time when we were short a tech. That is very exhausting. The only time the lab is closed is for a major hurricane and that has happened a couple of times.

dsmith
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 10:21 AM

I think you should have at least two full time employees, who are both capable of running everything necessary.  That way you are covered fully in the case of vacation and sick time.  I don't think you will be able to have a part time person, who is still considered part time, if they have to work a full time schedule when your full-timer goes to the beach for a week.

D.Mak
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2010 12:44 PM

Let me guess,, they are cutting back on a Lab Tech. are they perhaps creating a Management job. Thats the kind of Lunicy we have up here, reduce the front line workers and create Management jobs.

Charles Lytle
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2010 9:30 AM

There is no OSHA prohibition on working alone in the lab, only a recommendation not to do it (called a "prudent practice").

If your state doesn't have primacy (that it, if there is no Georgia OSHA), government labs in the state at all levels are exempt from the OSHA lab standard.

Check out the latest edition of WEF's Laboratory Solutions for a discussion on all of this and the "fix" we came up with here in Portland, OR (where the sun finally made an appearance, just in time for the summer solstice).

Chuck Lytle