WEF Discussions — Now on LinkedIn!

WEF is pleased to announce the creation of free LinkedIn groups associated with its technical discussion forum topics. Through these LinkedIn groups, members will be able to view and participate in discussions, as well as communicate with one another via direct messages. Share your experiences and knowledge, ask questions and respond to other discussions as frequently as you like!

You must have a LinkedIn profile to join a LinkedIn group; you can create your profile here. If you already have a LinkedIn profile, all you need to do is submit a request to join one or all of the following groups:

Water Environment Federation (Main) | Biosolids | Collection Systems | Nutrients | Stormwater 
Utility Management | Water Reuse | Water for Jobs | Watershed Management | Laboratory Practices 

RSS Feed Print
TDS/VDS LCS
Jami
Posted: Thursday, March 4, 2010 10:49 AM

I need an LCS for TDS/VDS.  I am using NaCl, but need another compound to combine with it that will hold at 180 degrees but then volatilize at 550 degrees.  Any suggestions? 

Perry Brake
Posted: Thursday, March 4, 2010 3:12 PM

Potassium hydrogen phthalate (KHP) should work, Jami.  Being very soluble in water, a 300 mg/L solution of KHP should give a TDS of 300 mg/L.  A study by the joint EPA Region 1/WA State Dept of Ecology lab found the same 300 mg/L solution gave an average total volatile solids of 169 mg/L.

If you decide to try KHP, be aware that it is hygroscopic...dry it at 105°C, store it in a desiccator, and weigh it immediately after removing from the desiccator.

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2010 8:59 AM

Thanks Perry!  I'm giving it a try today.  Looking forward to the results... your help is very much appreciated.

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 12:37 PM
This piece was cogent, well-wirettn, and pithy.
Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 8:19 PM
You're the gerteast! JMHO
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 1:15 PM
THX that's a great anwesr!
Anonymous
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 2:52 PM
Good point. I hadn't tghohut about it quite that way.