WEF Discussions — Now on LinkedIn!

WEF is pleased to announce the creation of free LinkedIn groups associated with its technical discussion forum topics. Through these LinkedIn groups, members will be able to view and participate in discussions, as well as communicate with one another via direct messages. Share your experiences and knowledge, ask questions and respond to other discussions as frequently as you like!

You must have a LinkedIn profile to join a LinkedIn group; you can create your profile here. If you already have a LinkedIn profile, all you need to do is submit a request to join one or all of the following groups:

Water Environment Federation (Main) | Biosolids | Collection Systems | Nutrients | Stormwater 
Utility Management | Water Reuse | Water for Jobs | Watershed Management | Laboratory Practices 

RSS Feed Print
TSS standard
Rashmi Patel
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2011 10:26 AM

In the past, I purchased custom prepared TSS/TDS standards.  Presently we are working to use in-house prepared standard and our project looks promising with a high standard of ~ 40mg/l.

I wonder if anyone of the readers use a standard at lower concentrations...

Manlab

jessica9
Posted: Tuesday, September 6, 2011 1:21 PM

In my lab, we used to make up our own standard using infusorial earth.  We made our standard in the range of 60-100 mg/L.  Currently, we are using a purchased standard at 28.6 mg/L.  

James Royer
Posted: Thursday, September 8, 2011 3:12 PM

We use a turbidity standard which is good to check precision. We have generated a known value by averaging many samples and different concentrations. We purchase a stock standard of 4000 NTU and make dilutions from that. A 80 NTU dilution yeilds a 44 mg/L TSS.

The VSS is 100 % of the TSS value and if the oven temperature is too high the results will be low. If the sample is not dry the result is high. Results of this secondary standard can be compared to other purchased TSS standard for correlation. The cost is very low.