WEF Discussions — Now on LinkedIn!

WEF is pleased to announce the creation of free LinkedIn groups associated with its technical discussion forum topics. Through these LinkedIn groups, members will be able to view and participate in discussions, as well as communicate with one another via direct messages. Share your experiences and knowledge, ask questions and respond to other discussions as frequently as you like!

You must have a LinkedIn profile to join a LinkedIn group; you can create your profile here. If you already have a LinkedIn profile, all you need to do is submit a request to join one or all of the following groups:

Water Environment Federation (Main) | Biosolids | Collection Systems | Nutrients | Stormwater 
Utility Management | Water Reuse | Water for Jobs | Watershed Management | Laboratory Practices 

RSS Feed Print
High COD Results
evik
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2011 1:21 AM

Hello all!

I would like your opinion about something as I dont have any experience other than the analysis of wastewater. In one restaurant I got these results for its wastewater:

COD 2220mgO2/L

TSS 298mg/L

FOG 78 mg/L

As I understand the COD value is very high for the standards that must to follow. Does it seem as a laboratory fault or is it something that goes wrong in the procedure? What could be done to decrease the COD value?

Thank you in advance.

Anonymous
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 9:13 AM

That COD value is not out of line for that sample source.  We regularly analyze for COD on our industries and food production facilities (not restaurants) have very high COD values.  The waste from a restaurant would most likely be more highly concentrated than the influent to the WWTP so if you have never analyzed anything other than influent or similar sources then a COD over 2000 would be an eye opener.  Our influent COD numbers can range from 200 - 700 depending on flow while industries with food wastes can range from 1000 - 5000. 

Gregg