WEF Discussions — Now on LinkedIn!

WEF is pleased to announce the creation of free LinkedIn groups associated with its technical discussion forum topics. Through these LinkedIn groups, members will be able to view and participate in discussions, as well as communicate with one another via direct messages. Share your experiences and knowledge, ask questions and respond to other discussions as frequently as you like!

You must have a LinkedIn profile to join a LinkedIn group; you can create your profile here. If you already have a LinkedIn profile, all you need to do is submit a request to join one or all of the following groups:

Water Environment Federation (Main) | Biosolids | Collection Systems | Nutrients | Stormwater 
Utility Management | Water Reuse | Water for Jobs | Watershed Management | Laboratory Practices 

RSS Feed Print
Method 624 and 625 Tune Frequency
Diane Lawver
Posted: Saturday, May 15, 2010 12:16 PM

I am interested in knowing what frequency is used for tuning when performingEPA 624 and 625.  Guidance from a Draft generated by EPA in 1996 regarding Method Flexibility (Attachment C) states that EPA intended the instruction for 'daily' to mean "every workshift" (8 hours or 12 hours).  I can't find any language in any recent regulations or communications clarifying EPA's intent.  Bottom line, is it ok to only tune every 24 hours for wastewater?  Drinking water and SW-846 procedures are either every 8 hours or 12 hours which are clearly stated.  Thank you for your insights on this question. 

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, May 18, 2010 8:36 AM

Diane,

I am unaware of the verbiage in the 1996 guidance. I suggest you contact your appropriate state agency or your USEPA regional office. If they have no definitive answer I think it is up to your lab to define. As long as you clearly define and it meets the (perhaps vague) "daily" requirement of Methods 624/625 you should be OK.

For the record, we perform a Tune check every 12-hour window because we run Methods 8260/8270 more than only 624/625.