WEF Discussions — Now on LinkedIn!

WEF is pleased to announce the creation of free LinkedIn groups associated with its technical discussion forum topics. Through these LinkedIn groups, members will be able to view and participate in discussions, as well as communicate with one another via direct messages. Share your experiences and knowledge, ask questions and respond to other discussions as frequently as you like!

You must have a LinkedIn profile to join a LinkedIn group; you can create your profile here. If you already have a LinkedIn profile, all you need to do is submit a request to join one or all of the following groups:

Water Environment Federation (Main) | Biosolids | Collection Systems | Nutrients | Stormwater 
Utility Management | Water Reuse | Water for Jobs | Watershed Management | Laboratory Practices 

RSS Feed Print
Commercially Prepared TSS/VSS Filters
Susan Ledbetter
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 11:41 AM

I am looking at switching to a commercially prepared TSS/VSS filter to help save time and money.  Daily we volatilize several TSS samples for the VSS values.  The commercially prepared filter aluminum pans has a mylar label with the certified weight and the identification number.  This volatilizes at 550 deg. C; therefore leaving no filter/pan identification.  What are other labs doing for the VSS since the original aluminum pan cannot be used in the muffle furnace? 

dsmith
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 3:59 PM

We encounter the same problems.  The only solution I have found is to record all the information prior to burning and put them in your furnace in a specific order.

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2010 4:32 PM

Why not "emboss" the aluminum pan with a ball point pen.  Just mark it with some identifying mark.

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, April 2, 2010 8:44 AM

That is what we do--make an indentation on the bottom of the pan with a ball point pen.  Write the pan ID# or weight for identification purposes.

Luis Manriquez
Posted: Sunday, April 11, 2010 11:03 AM

We save the blank pans that come with the TSS filters of which we use a lot.

We mark them with a dried out ball point pen, embossing a number in them.

We then transfer the VSS filters on them, after verifying the weight for the QC tests (you would be surprised how off the weight sometimes is).

This prevents any contaminations and danger from burning labels.

Luis Manriquez

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 4:21 PM

Thank you all for the input.  I have tried two different vendors "ready-to-use" filters. The label burns off on both. I will have to do what you do and transfer to a new pan if I want to use the labels.  

Jeff Naumann
Posted: Monday, April 19, 2010 2:52 PM

Perhaps "ready to use" really means "ready to sell."

mitochondrialBliss
Posted: Thursday, May 27, 2010 4:19 PM

Susan Bedwetter,

EASY SOLUTION-

You CAN use the suppliers dish: In your lab book, number your samples starting with 001. Take some scissors, and snip a small cut on the edge of the dish for #1, 2 snips for #2, etc. The number of snips you see on the edge tells you the number of your sample.cool

Anonymous
Posted: Wednesday, June 9, 2010 12:46 PM

I transfer the TSS filter to a small ceramic crucible...no melting...no problem!

Ann