WEF Discussions — Now on LinkedIn!

WEF is pleased to announce the creation of free LinkedIn groups associated with its technical discussion forum topics. Through these LinkedIn groups, members will be able to view and participate in discussions, as well as communicate with one another via direct messages. Share your experiences and knowledge, ask questions and respond to other discussions as frequently as you like!

You must have a LinkedIn profile to join a LinkedIn group; you can create your profile here. If you already have a LinkedIn profile, all you need to do is submit a request to join one or all of the following groups:

Water Environment Federation (Main) | Biosolids | Collection Systems | Nutrients | Stormwater 
Utility Management | Water Reuse | Water for Jobs | Watershed Management | Laboratory Practices 

RSS Feed Print
Sand filters Flow rate peak cals.....
SHARIFF
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2010 2:20 AM

Hi members ,

Please find below Sand filters data , i would like to know how did the designer  arrived the Flow rate ( peak) value

No of Filters

Nos

Type

Rapid gravity sand filters , rectangular , layered media placed above lateral outlet tubes

Design flow

M3/day

Manufacturer

Ames crosta Babcock

Influent quality

25 mg/lit BOD /l , 30 mgSS/l , 5 mgNH3N/i

Effluent quality

Effluent quality 10 mgBOD/l , 10 mg SS/l ( at peak flow)

Filter area

M2 each

Flow rate ( Peak)

M3/m2.h

Bed size

9 X 5.8 m

Each bed spilt into 2

Water level

M

Filter media

Grade ( 1/10-1/4” , 3/8 & 1/2 TO 3 /4 “ )

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 12:45 AM

Hi forum members ,

Volume of excess Sludge = (Q x BODin x Yobs x BODRE) ÷ MLSS                                                

Where                              
Q      Influent flowrate      m3/d
BODinInfluent BODKg/m3
Yobs      Observed yield coeficient %
BODRE BOD removal efficiency %
MLSS      Mixed liquor suspended solidsKg/m3

I was told that the above equation can be used to determine the sludge wasting for a Activated sludge plant.

I would like to know the following

Is it applicable to all types of ASP plants
The source of this equation ( any books references etc.,)

OR is there any other method available

can any one share views with me

regards