RSS Feed Print
trash pump solids handling recommended for mixed liquor
Tom Hons
Posted: Sunday, May 16, 2010 6:06 PM

We need to purchase a pump or 2 (hopefully electric) for pumping out an oxidation ditch with mixed liquor, and I'm wondering what size of solids handling capacity to look for in the pump. I see trash pumps showing 3/4, 1, 1 1/2, or 2 inch solids handling capacity.  Mainly what I see in the ditch as solids is raggy material like hair/rag mix.  The plant has an influent fine screen rotomat.

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 2:01 PM

Radial (Centrifugal) pumps are fine for this application, you need to contact a supplier and let him know the discharge length, the solids that you are presently running at (in the ditch) I assume somewhere around 1% solids (10,000 p.p.m. or mg/l same thing) and the height to which the liquid will be pumped. The size of the inlet and outlet are detemined by the flow you require, the R.P.M. of the motor and pump, the design of the impellor should be semi-open to help prevent clogging with rags.

D.Mak

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 3:30 PM

CH&E pumps have worked well and are easy to work on. Had a 2" 220V roll around and now have a 4" gas powered. Sure that there are others around just that these have worked well for me.

Mark