RSS Feed Print
New BOD Standard Method (ASTM)
hubblijr
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 3:12 PM

Prior to 1968, ASTM had a published BOD method but it was not reapproved after that date.  In the last few years, I have been chairing a Committee D19 (Water) Task Group to draft a new Standard based on the 1968 version but updated to current technology and thinking.  That Standard has now been submitted for a first round of balloting at "subcommittee" within D19.  It is intended to be fully compliant with EPA requirements for BOD.

Although you must be a member of ASTM (you just need to apply) to officially vote on a propose Method, input from all members of the user community is greatly desired.  You can get a draft of the Standard by emailing me at

john.hubbling@metc.state.mn.us.  If you wish, you can participate in the development meetings of D19 held semi-annually (St. Louis in June, Cocoa Beach in January - see ASTM Web Site).

The new draft Stardard is focused on reproducibility by eliminating sources of variability (options), but will allow both Luminesence DO measurement as well as membrane probes.  One area where user input would be useful is in validation of the use of freezing for extending holding time.  Anyone who has such data that they will share is encouraged to send it to me. 

Reporting rules are completely revised.  Lower levels (detection and quantitation will be driven by actual data rather than arbitrary levels (such as min. depletion of 2 mg/L).  Preliminary data using GGA has shown that it is possible to achieve a detection limit of 0.1 mg/L BOD.

Within the next year, we expect to conduct interlaboratory studies ("round robins") to establish single and interlab performance characteristics (detection, quantitation, recovery, precision, etc. to be published with the method).  Anyone interested in participating in such a study should also contact me by email.