RSS Feed Print
Is this the End of this Forum?
Victor Santa Cruz
Posted: Sunday, December 6, 2009 10:09 PM

The following comments are from a personal perspective and in no way reflect what anybody else sees.  Seems like WEF decided to go on with a decision to make this Forum more special that what it was, id est, anyone other than WEF members will not be allowed to participate as they had been allowed to do so.  Several years worth of cumulative knowledge lost.  For what?  A Forum that is less flexible than the previous iteration.  This Forum marks the 3 major Forum change that I've seen in the last 7-8 years and the second time that WEF has decided to get rid of old entries.  Personally,  I think it is a step backwards.

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, December 6, 2009 10:23 PM

I agree, Victor.  There is no longer any participation by operations people; and, little by the lab people.

Note to the Web Manager:  Junk this one; and, bring back the old one. Learn from your mistakes (I know that's a pretty old concept).

Jeff Naumann

Charles Lytle
Posted: Monday, December 7, 2009 7:51 AM

I must agree with Victor.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

However, I do note that the new design is conveniently laid out for ads.  Am I the only person on the planet that AUTOMATICALLY tunes out ads because they're everywhere??

And, whoever designed this new site should at least fix the text box so you don't have to scroll horizontally.

*sigh*

Chuck Lytle

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, December 7, 2009 7:53 AM

This is just a test to see if my Outlook Favorites can successfully bypass the log-in and still retain my posting ID.

CRL

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, December 7, 2009 7:54 AM

Obviously, it can't.  Another convenience?

Chuck Lytle

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, December 7, 2009 10:26 AM

Posted by Chuck Lytle:

However, I do note that the new design is conveniently laid out for ads.  Am I the only person on the planet that AUTOMATICALLY tunes out ads because they're everywhere??

Funny thing is, I didn't even notice the ads until you brought them up.  I guess I have trained myself to ignore the sides and top of any web page.  But, yes, now that you mention it, the forum is designed for conveniently placed ads.  Bah, I believe I'm done with this place.  I'll see if I can find something else to replace it.  Victor mentioned some possible replacements already out there in the Linkedin.com group.  If none of those suffice, I'll see if I can start a new forum on a free hosting spot somewhere.

David

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, December 8, 2009 9:18 PM

The WEF folks say they are rethinking their decision to make "new topics or responses" available only to members (which really wasn't true in the first place because, as I am doing here, non-members could post "responses" as anonymous writers.  How anyone could think that restricting postings/responses would "encourage greater forum activity", which they claimto be an objective, is beyond me!  Maybe that was just a typo and they meant to say "encourage greater membership activity".  Hopefully, they will get the forum back on track.

I don't mind the advertisements on the right border because I don't pay any attention to them at this or any otherf web site.  I think WEF is justified in trying to recoup some of their expense in making this previously-excellent forum available to us.  Maybe they'll make enough profit from advertising that they won't mind a few freeloaders like me posting on the forum.

Perry

Eric Rajaniemi
Posted: Wednesday, December 9, 2009 7:46 AM

I have to agree, this is less than what we had before.  It is sad to see that they did not value all of the past archived posts laden with knowledge and experience.  This appears to be strictly "business" driven.  Too bad.

~Eric

Victor Santa Cruz
Posted: Wednesday, December 9, 2009 8:09 AM

I am currently working on two things.  Trying to get a new Forum started in much the same manner that the old Forum used to be--with one caveat.  It will be sponsored by a company so there will be ads--though very few.  You can have your old "handle" and maintain your anonymous persona if you want it or display as much info as you want.  Secondly, I did an archive of the old forum postings using Acrobat Professional back in September/October but have not had the time to weed out some unnecessary pages created during the archive process--one of the archives is close to 3K pages.  Stay tuned.

James Royer
Posted: Wednesday, December 9, 2009 11:29 AM

I would also like to add my displeasure to the new WEF forum. It would appear that there is a lot of knowledge to share and that we WEF members will be missing out on a lot of that knowledge. It also has taken me some time to just figure out how to use the new system. Better instructions would be good. WEF members benefit from the responces to our topics. I probably will not be checking the forum as often as in the past.

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 10:43 AM

So does this mean that all of those historic threads are gone and unable to be accessed??

I can't believe that because far too much reference information will be lost and I know that couldn't be the case...

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, December 11, 2009 4:19 PM

It definitely is the case, at least for now.  Very sad!

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, December 12, 2009 12:04 AM

Something else this new format apparently does not allow is private e-mails to those who make postings.  Under the old format I would sometimes note something in a posting where I thought I could help the individual, but that would not be of interest to forum discussion participants in general.  A few e-mails later, we'd have all the world's problems solved.  I have "met" people through that process who I now consider personal friends.  So much for that useful feature!

And this old dog is having problems understanding all the new tricks involved with LinkedIn.  Sorry, Victor!  Just like Vista and MS Office 2007, it's far too complex for my liking.  But I feel I still have something to offer on the subject of my favorite test...BOD...so if anybody has a question in that area, feel free to contact me through my web site (www.perrybrake.com/BODSolutions.html) and click on "E-mail Me".  If you're from WEF, don't bother...I put you on my "Junk Mail" list.

Perry Anonymous Brake   

Ex-Guru

sad

Victor Santa Cruz
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 9:10 AM

Perry:

I can see that you tried to make it work within the constrained and limited offerings of the "new and improved" (sarcastically emphasized) new Forum.  I can also understand the steep learning curve necessary to know the intricacies of LinkedIn.  Can't say that you did not try--that you did.  There is also one more Forum that I think you should give a chance:  www.waterandwastewater.com.  Use the following link to register on the site:

http://www.waterandwastewater.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=general

Under the top 10 members photo banner there is a blue banner that stretches longitudinally with several options listed.  Click on the "Register" link.  Once you have entered the necessary information to become a member you will then have access to the Laboratory Forum at:

http://www.waterandwastewater.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=lab1

Hope to see you there as a contributing member.  Hate to see the loss of a well-versed and knowledgeable individual with quite a bit more years of contribution still left.

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, December 13, 2009 1:29 PM

Thanks, Victor!  It's not that I COULDN'T wade through all the LinkedIn paperwork...hmmm...that term doesn't apply here, does it...it's that I didn't want to.  I have reached a point in my life where "simple" and "straightforward " have more meaning to me.  I learned Vista and Office 2007 because I had to to survive in the cyber-world, but I had a choice on LinkedIn. 

As you suggested, I have registered with Water and Wastewater and find it much more to my liking and I think others might find it the same.  I am waiting for them to send my password so I can get into the lab forum, but just in looking at the general forum, it appears to be very user-friendly and similar to WEF's previous technical discussion forums.  I have replaced the WEF icon on my desktop with that of Water and Wastewater.  I look forward to finding old friends there!

Perry