RSS Feed Print
Nitrication and Denitrification/process &equipment used
Miss Bio
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 3:49 PM

Hello

I am a college student looking for some information  on the process of nitrification and denitrification. I don't understand all of the process. I usually am more of a hands on learner so books don't  provide the visual , physical atmosphere for me. I have been on 5 treatment tours. And I have seen how each plant does have it's unique style of operation. As I go through each plant it does bring up various questions but i forget to ask about Nirtification and Denitrifiaction.

So if anyone can help explain this process and what you think is needed for equipment used,what happensin this process, that would be great. Another question I have is for the equipment used, do they get affected by the process or other eleiments? And what is invovled for maintenance for the equipment, or tanks, pumps and how often?

I know I am asking a lot. i would be happy to take another tour of a plant but, it's really, really cold and snowy now. I have to wait until spring.

Thanks M.B.happy

Mark Milne
Posted: Thursday, December 17, 2009 3:03 PM

Our plant is getting a MLE process (Nitrification/Denitrification)

I will use my local reporter explanation: Bugs (bacteria) without carbon food but lot's of oxygen will eat ammonia and make nitrate

Bugs with carbon food but no oxygen will strip oxygen from nitrate/ nitrite until nitrogen gas

is formed.

MLE -First tank is anoxic (no oxygen, maybe a little) bugs eat carbon. Second tank is oxic (has oxygen), has ammonia, but no carbon food and while some of the bugs flow to the clarifier, most are being recirculated to the first tank. 

Since most bugs will use oxygen to eat carbon if they have the chance, the first tank has to get rid of the carbon food and the second tank has to make the oxygen source (nitrate) for the first.

Now draw a picture

Mark

Miss Bio
Posted: Saturday, December 19, 2009 8:28 PM

Hey Thanks, I think I can connect the dots now!

What would you say is the most important duties a operator should due to keep the plants process of Nitrification and Denitrification are?

During your experiences in this field, have you ever encounters of RBC before? I haven't been to plant that has one and I have questions about those.

Thankshappy M.B.

LawrenceDandridge
Posted: Wednesday, March 10, 2010 8:20 AM

Thanks for that Mike, very helpful little explanation. I think I saw a diagram for this a while a go from searching on Google but can't seem to find it. Thanks for refreshing my memory.