WEF Discussions — Now on LinkedIn!

WEF is pleased to announce the creation of free LinkedIn groups associated with its technical discussion forum topics. Through these LinkedIn groups, members will be able to view and participate in discussions, as well as communicate with one another via direct messages. Share your experiences and knowledge, ask questions and respond to other discussions as frequently as you like!

You must have a LinkedIn profile to join a LinkedIn group; you can create your profile here. If you already have a LinkedIn profile, all you need to do is submit a request to join one or all of the following groups:

Water Environment Federation (Main) | Biosolids | Collection Systems | Nutrients | Stormwater 
Utility Management | Water Reuse | Water for Jobs | Watershed Management | Laboratory Practices 

RSS Feed Print
There's a Lesson Here...somewhere
Keith Chapman
Posted: Thursday, March 3, 2011 4:58 PM

I have figured out that in the last 25 years our laboratory has purchased 70 cases of BOD bottles (1680 bottles!) at a replacement cost of over $14,000.
However, we still have every single one of the 1680 BOD bottle stoppers!

James Royer
Posted: Tuesday, March 8, 2011 9:46 AM

I have purchased some BOD bottles the last 30 years also. First some used ones as a couple laboratories were closing. It was a very good deal. I have also purchased some new ones, probably 8 cases. I ended up throwing quite a few stoppers away as I could not come up with any alternative use for them and we were cleaning up storage area. A client on a big project also gave me 4 cases during a BOD study. I have used some 60 ml bottles and some disposable ones also. I wonder what the cost per BOD analysis might be? Very small.

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2011 11:22 AM

Very true - we have thousands of stoppers and they are seemingly indestructible.  There HAS to be some kind of market for them. 

Decoration for flower vases or fish bowls?  Wait I can do better...

Lots of people have gone to rock-garden type landscaping in their front yards so they don't have to worry about mowing and watering grass.  Maybe stoppers could be incorporated into the landscaping business.  And it saves water. 

Boom.

I feel like I just saved the planet.  I should get to go home early for this.

Stressed Organism

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, May 2, 2011 2:50 PM

Has anybody addressed issues related to variable volumes of BOD bottles.  We have typically calibrated our bottles (300 ml) and discarded those outside of 300 +/- 2% (1-4 per case).  Lately, none of the bottles from Wheaton will pass that spec.

John Hubbling

Met Council/Lab Manager

Saint Paul, MN

john.hubbling@metc.state.mn.us

Chair:  ASTM BOD task group

I'm posting anonymous since the forum won't let me access my registration.  Very cludgy site.

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, May 2, 2011 9:30 PM
Anonymous wrote:

Has anybody addressed issues related to variable volumes of BOD bottles.  We have typically calibrated our bottles (300 ml) and discarded those outside of 300 +/- 2% (1-4 per case).  Lately, none of the bottles from Wheaton will pass that spec.

John Hubbling

Met Council/Lab Manager

Saint Paul, MN

john.hubbling@metc.state.mn.us

Chair:  ASTM BOD task group

I'm posting anonymous since the forum won't let me access my registration.  Very cludgy site.

That's why nearly nobody visits here anymore.  Try this one:

http://www.waterandwastewater.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl

The warden here has pretty much discouraged anyone from being active.

Anonymous
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2011 11:14 AM
Holy conisce data batman. Lol!
William Ray
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 1:13 PM

That is a lot of work for a test that relies on the operations of bacteria.  I am curious as to why.

Bill Ray - formerly known as In This Before Dirt.