WEF Discussions — Now on LinkedIn!

WEF is pleased to announce the creation of free LinkedIn groups associated with its technical discussion forum topics. Through these LinkedIn groups, members will be able to view and participate in discussions, as well as communicate with one another via direct messages. Share your experiences and knowledge, ask questions and respond to other discussions as frequently as you like!

You must have a LinkedIn profile to join a LinkedIn group; you can create your profile here. If you already have a LinkedIn profile, all you need to do is submit a request to join one or all of the following groups:

Water Environment Federation (Main) | Biosolids | Collection Systems | Nutrients | Stormwater 
Utility Management | Water Reuse | Water for Jobs | Watershed Management | Laboratory Practices 

RSS Feed Print
Activated Biofilter - Denitrification
Roger Fuggle
Posted: Friday, July 26, 2013 11:14 AM

I would be grateful to hear if anyone has experience of modifying a plastic media biofilter to an "Activated Biofilter" by recycling the underflow from the settlement tank to devlop a "mixed liquor", and recyling this via an anoxic tank, mixed with primary effluent, to achieve partial denitrification.

Regards

Roger Fuggle

Posted: Monday, August 26, 2013 8:50 AM

Roger,

We are or have operated small trickling filter plants (plastic media) that nitrify in the trickling filters and denitrify in (a) pre-denite mixed tanks, (b) pre-denite submerged media, and (c) post-denite filters. All work reasonably well, but the pre-denite submerged media seems to provide the most consistent treatment.

We soon plan on experimenting with a large municipal trickling filter to see if we can denitrify in the first of the two in-series plastic media filters.

Grant Weaver

The Water Planet Company

Posted: Thursday, December 19, 2013 8:06 AM

I might have misunderstood your questions, but my denite filters worked fine without a constant recycle. We just added a carbon source and the bugs started knocking down the nitrate in a week.