WEF Discussions — Now on LinkedIn!

WEF is pleased to announce the creation of free LinkedIn groups associated with its technical discussion forum topics. Through these LinkedIn groups, members will be able to view and participate in discussions, as well as communicate with one another via direct messages. Share your experiences and knowledge, ask questions and respond to other discussions as frequently as you like!

You must have a LinkedIn profile to join a LinkedIn group; you can create your profile here. If you already have a LinkedIn profile, all you need to do is submit a request to join one or all of the following groups:

Water Environment Federation (Main) | Biosolids | Collection Systems | Nutrients | Stormwater 
Utility Management | Water Reuse | Water for Jobs | Watershed Management | Laboratory Practices 

RSS Feed Print
COD Standard Values
cgraham@dmi.ca
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2013 3:42 PM

For approximately the past 15 years we have been running daily in house COD tests on our effluent. During that time we have been using HACH COD Standard Solution 300 mg/L for QA/QC purposes as it closely matches our typical effluent values. That being said in all the years we have been using this standard it has consistently run high. One would certainly expect to see some variance in the value but I would anticipate it averaging out to close to 300. This has not been the case for us, as our results, with few exceptions, run in the 310-318 range.

In all the time we have been conducting this test we have used 3 separate HACH reactors with each reactor producing pretty well the same results. The HACH DR 2800 Spectrophotometer we currently use for reading is calibrated annually by a HACH representative and continues to produce high  standard values, even immediately following the annual calibration.

To take it a step further I recently produced my own set of standards using stock potassium hydrogen phthalate. I produced standards with concentrations of 200, 500, 1000. 1500, and 2000 mg/L respectively and read the absorbance values of each standard. I then plotted these absorbance values and produced a linear line of best fit resulting in an R2 value of 0.9996 (this was expected as the spectrophotometer should read absorbance values linear up to 2000 mg/L). I then took the absorbance of the HACH 300 mg/L standard and plotted against the line, and using the equation determined the concentration to be 312 mg/L.

Safe to say we are having difficulties pinpointing why the standard does not average closer to 300 mg/L , after all the standard claims to be a 300 mg/L standard. I am wondering if anyone else has run into a similar issue or has any perspective on what our difficulties may be?

Thanks,

Chad G