WEF Discussions — Now on LinkedIn!

WEF is pleased to announce the creation of free LinkedIn groups associated with its technical discussion forum topics. Through these LinkedIn groups, members will be able to view and participate in discussions, as well as communicate with one another via direct messages. Share your experiences and knowledge, ask questions and respond to other discussions as frequently as you like!

You must have a LinkedIn profile to join a LinkedIn group; you can create your profile here. If you already have a LinkedIn profile, all you need to do is submit a request to join one or all of the following groups:

Water Environment Federation (Main) | Biosolids | Collection Systems | Nutrients | Stormwater 
Utility Management | Water Reuse | Water for Jobs | Watershed Management | Laboratory Practices 

RSS Feed Print
Trash(tampons, etc.) problem land application
Landbiosolid
Posted: Thursday, March 17, 2011 10:51 AM

I am a landowner that allows liquid biosolids to be applied to my land. I have an ongoing concern with trash like tampons, condoms, plastic, etc. that are coming out with the biosolids.

I've expressed my concerns with the company that applies, but they say that some of these things will get through the system and it is hard for them to get it all out.

What should be an "acceptable" level of this trash?

I would think with today's technology, they should be able to get out all the trash at the plants.

The application company put in a homemade screening box which was made from a large roll-off box with a couple of walls of expanded metal "screens". The problem is the holes are too large and the trash passes through them. When I pointed that out, they said that any smaller holes will clog too quickly because of hair.

I've researched a screening system like a Muffin Monster, but the costs are extremely high.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Brent Dickey
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 10:06 AM

Have you visited the product source (i.e. WWTP), or do they have multiple sources? We went from a trash rack (1.5" spacing) to a 0.25" screen. We used to have all the junk you describe in our sludge, now it's tough to find much of anything in our sludge that's not supposed to be there.

The "acceptable" level is up to you, and perhaps the state regulators...it sounds like it's borderline for you right now. if enough end users put up a stinkwinkthey will have to do something, if you don't complain, cajole and threaten they won't do anything.