WEF Discussions — Now on LinkedIn!

WEF is pleased to announce the creation of free LinkedIn groups associated with its technical discussion forum topics. Through these LinkedIn groups, members will be able to view and participate in discussions, as well as communicate with one another via direct messages. Share your experiences and knowledge, ask questions and respond to other discussions as frequently as you like!

You must have a LinkedIn profile to join a LinkedIn group; you can create your profile here. If you already have a LinkedIn profile, all you need to do is submit a request to join one or all of the following groups:

Water Environment Federation (Main) | Biosolids | Collection Systems | Nutrients | Stormwater 
Utility Management | Water Reuse | Water for Jobs | Watershed Management | Laboratory Practices 

RSS Feed Print
Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS)
Suzy Lindblom
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 2:46 PM

What LIMS system do you have and does it do everything you need it to?
Audrey Brubeck
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 1:31 PM

We use LabWorks by Perkin Elmer. It is good but not great. The best LIMS I ever used is Element by Promium. It really did everything we wanted and was intuitively easy.
Suzy Lindblom
Posted: Friday, May 4, 2012 9:31 AM

Thanks - I've heard good things about Element as well.
Charles Lytle
Posted: Wednesday, May 9, 2012 7:48 AM

Suzy,

We went the other way and decommissioned a LIMS by another vendor and chose Promium's Element.  We're very happy with Element, and it has vastly increased productivity in our wastewater lab.  Particular good points:  very low initial cost for high value; excellent installation experience; excellent tech support.

Element's "data tool" app is so good, we switched and put on the shelf a very expensive stand-alone product ($30K!!).

Chuck Lytle,

City of Portland, OR

Suzy Lindblom
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2012 8:50 AM

I just got their packet in the mail yesterday.  I will definately have to check it out.  so far, I've looked at LabLite, ATL and Hach WIMS and one called LabVantage (didn't like at ALL)
Suzy Lindblom
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 12:54 PM

I've recently had a Demo by both Promium and a company called Autoscribe.  I liked Autoscribe a lot. Anyone familiar with then?
Posted: Friday, November 9, 2012 11:10 AM

We use Element by Promium but I plan to switch in the next couple of years.  I do think the product is good for a small lab  but maybe not for a medium lab.  My lab has just outgrown what Promium can provide. Their documentation  - especially on LIMS administrative tasks - is extrenely poor.  Their support use to be great but now is almost non-existant.  Plus there are no user group meetings and interaction between Promium users is almost non-existant on either their website or their Linked In discussion forum. 

They have a product called Client Connect which is included free with Element.  This is a huge plus.  The program allows a lab's client to log-in over the web and see their data and download reports.  However, the documentation is very poor.  We spent several weeks trying to implement it but continually ran into issues.  We even had their guru on the phone with us and our web site consultant to no avail.  The guru tried to reinstall the product several times with no success.  We finally got the product developer on a conference call and discovered that the instructions for installing the product and setting up security were wrong.  Very frustrating!

We are now dealing with an issue where we subcontract out some analysis to a nationally known laboratory that does not have Element LIMS.  Element will not accept the generic EDD format used by most commercial LIMS.  Thus our contract lab has been trying to work with Promium to develop an EDD format that Element will accept and the folks at Promium keep missing the deadlines.

Again- I think Promium is a good product for a small inhouse LIMS that doesn't have to generate many reports, interface with other programs such as Linko or need to import EDDs.  It is very cost effective.  Hoever if you are a lab with more than 5 to 10 analysts with multiple customers and need some advanced features such as interfacing with other programs, tracking of complaints or tracking of training- I would look elsewhere.

Posted: Monday, November 12, 2012 10:25 AM

We are a small WW plant lab doing simple stuff such as BOD and SS.  The rest is done by contract labs.  The lab bought HACH WIMMs more than a year ago but did not implement using it.

Does anyone have experience with WIMMs in a small lab enviroment?  Especially using worksheets to calculate results and the importing of EDDs from contract labs?