WEF Discussions — Now on LinkedIn!

WEF is pleased to announce the creation of free LinkedIn groups associated with its technical discussion forum topics. Through these LinkedIn groups, members will be able to view and participate in discussions, as well as communicate with one another via direct messages. Share your experiences and knowledge, ask questions and respond to other discussions as frequently as you like!

You must have a LinkedIn profile to join a LinkedIn group; you can create your profile here. If you already have a LinkedIn profile, all you need to do is submit a request to join one or all of the following groups:

Water Environment Federation (Main) | Biosolids | Collection Systems | Nutrients | Stormwater 
Utility Management | Water Reuse | Water for Jobs | Watershed Management | Laboratory Practices 

RSS Feed Print
EPA 1631 & Sample interferences when running Hydra AF Gold
Ginger Wynne
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2011 5:58 PM

We are running a Leeman Hydra AF Gold Plus, and for the last 9- 12 months have been having issues with interferences and therefore failing spike recoveries.  This instrument has been running flawlessly for six years until now.  The manufacturer has provided us with silanized gold traps and soda lime dryer, but these do not have a lasting effect.  We can dilute out the interferences, but I would like to get to the bottom of this.  Any ideas??????

Charles Lytle
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 7:59 AM

I can recommend contacting either Brooks Rand or Frontier Geosciences (the latter may have gone through a name change, I can't remember).  The folks at these companies were in on the ground floor of developing the method, and even though both offer lab services I think they'd offer technical help.

There's also an EPA document "Guidance for Implementation and Use of EPA Method 1631...", EPA 821-R-01-023 that's available on the web.

Chuck Lytle,

City of Portland