WEF Discussions — Now on LinkedIn!

WEF is pleased to announce the creation of free LinkedIn groups associated with its technical discussion forum topics. Through these LinkedIn groups, members will be able to view and participate in discussions, as well as communicate with one another via direct messages. Share your experiences and knowledge, ask questions and respond to other discussions as frequently as you like!

You must have a LinkedIn profile to join a LinkedIn group; you can create your profile here. If you already have a LinkedIn profile, all you need to do is submit a request to join one or all of the following groups:

Water Environment Federation (Main) | Biosolids | Collection Systems | Nutrients | Stormwater 
Utility Management | Water Reuse | Water for Jobs | Watershed Management | Laboratory Practices 

RSS Feed Print
reduction of flows
cb
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 2:21 PM

OK folks, it been awhile since I been in this site.. I was in the "cave" too long.

Here the scoop:  Our rest area will be replacing 3.5 gallons flushers for a 1.6 flushers. I know my flow will go down abit. BUT... I would like to know what other kind of impact I might get at the plant. One our head brass thinks the concentrations of ammonia and BOD will be higher.

My feelings is this,, reduction of food to plant but it wont impact the efflueint quaity . ( this for my plant, which is an actived sludge max design of .130 mgp.. normal flow is 20-35 gpm during the winter and summer is 50 gpm. ) the other rest area got RBC/ prim/ sec clair's.

I would like to hear any feedbacks...

Mark Milne
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2010 6:32 PM

I would think pounds BOD, TSS would be the same. The alkalinity could be different and may have an impact on pH.

Eric Rajaniemi
Posted: Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:24 AM

I agree with Mark.  The loading pounds will not change, only the volume of water.  You may have to make some minor process adjustments to accomodate this, such as higher MLSS and longer SRT.  The F/M ought not to change either.  You may have to rethink your RAS rates for daytime and nighttime. 

~Eric