WEF Discussions — Now on LinkedIn!

WEF is pleased to announce the creation of free LinkedIn groups associated with its technical discussion forum topics. Through these LinkedIn groups, members will be able to view and participate in discussions, as well as communicate with one another via direct messages. Share your experiences and knowledge, ask questions and respond to other discussions as frequently as you like!

You must have a LinkedIn profile to join a LinkedIn group; you can create your profile here. If you already have a LinkedIn profile, all you need to do is submit a request to join one or all of the following groups:

Water Environment Federation (Main) | Biosolids | Collection Systems | Nutrients | Stormwater 
Utility Management | Water Reuse | Water for Jobs | Watershed Management | Laboratory Practices 

RSS Feed Print
Approved Laboratory Methods and NPDES Permits
Agua Dr
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2011 11:31 AM

When a laboratory wants to use a new method that has been recen'tly approved by EPA (i.e. EPA Method Update Rule), does the NPDES permit need to be changed to accomadate the new method?  Or, are NPDES permits written in a fashion that allow a laboratory to use any approved 40 CFR 136 method?

Your response and insight is most appreciated,

Agua Dr

Perry Brake
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2011 12:59 PM

It would be highly unusual for an NPDES permit to require use of a specific method...but anything is possible!  My advice is to check your plant's permit and see what it says on methods to be used for monitoring tests.  My guess is that it will say you (and your supporting labs) may used an method approved by EPA in 40 CFR 136.  There are exceptions, however.  For example, some states require the used of the most recent edition of Standard Methods.

If your lab is required to be accredited/certified by you state regulatory agency, be sure to let the lab accreditation folks know you if you change to the new method.

Charles Lytle
Posted: Monday, August 1, 2011 8:06 AM

After a long hiatus, I finally get a chance to comment to a posting, and Perry Brake beats me to it.  At least some things in this crazy world haven't changed. happy

In our just-renewed permit, the details are in Schedule F (NPDES General Conditions), Section C (Monitoring and Records): 40 CFR 136.  Any update promulgated at 136 will thus be automatically approved.

I should note that our biosolids program, SW-846 is specified as the source of required methods.

Chuck Lytle