RSS Feed Print
Operations help
Victoria Caulfield
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 1:24 PM

We have a BNR system for denit/nit. (Denit takes place in a separate basin than nitrification). Unde rth e scope we are seeing a lot of old growth, rotifers, bears, and some strange pods i've never seen before. And that is my question. With old sludge does any one have any experience with what looks like round shaped pods that look bloated. What are they indicative of? No settleing for sure but we're working on that.
Erwin Bonatz
Posted: Friday, May 4, 2012 11:10 AM

I manage a large treatment plant in Virginia Beach VA.  This plant has a large service area, very concentrated household and resaurant/hotel waste, and a very long travel time up to 3 days to get to the plant.  All flow is conveyed via force mains.  From Mid April through November we have a problem with very thick floating sceptic greasey scum in our primary clarifiers; that if not continuously manually skimmed, will cover the clarifier and completely overwhelm the scum collection system and cause the solids collection flights/chain to jump its guide sprockets and derail in the clarifier.

I am trying to contact other plants that might have this same problem and hopefully learn a few successful ways to either prevent this from happening or actually remove the greasey scum automatically without a lot of manual labor.

Erwin E. Bonatz Jr. P.E.

HRSD Atlantic Treatment Plant Manager

757 821 7402