RSS Feed Print
disinfection with paracetic acid
mgille
Posted: Thursday, January 21, 2010 2:10 PM

Hi:

I don't know if this the appropriate form to post this issue in; I am trying to find information on the use of paracetic acid for effluent disinfection.

I understand that it is used in Europe, but have not been successful in finding examples of its use in the US (I am writing from ACUA in Atlantic City,NJ.

I would be grateful for any information or links to relevant information form anyone reading this forum. Thanks very much.

Sincerely,

Michael Gille

ACUA Laboratory Director

Anonymous
Posted: Saturday, May 1, 2010 11:33 AM

The Saltillo, Mississippi W.W.T.P has run a Bench Scale Test using P.A.A. you may be able to get some kind of info. from the Mississippi State University. From what I've learned I don't think any of the W.W.T.P. in the U.S. use it, I've done a little homework on it and it seems like a Safer Alternative to Cl2. No carcinogenic by-products (THMs chloroforms)due to organic matter, no known Mutagens or Carcinogens.

We are presently looking into it for our Plant up here in Canada (Northern Ontario).

Anonymous
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 8:28 AM

P.A.A. Jar Testing Results.

Eff.- 0.5 mg/l (15 min.) 14 CFU/100mls.

Eff.- 1.0 mg/l (15 min.) 26 CFU/100mls.

Eff.- 2.0 mg/l (15 min.) 30 CFU/100mls.

Eff.- 3.0 mg/l (15 min.) 16 CFU/100mls.

Eff.- 4.0 mg/l (15 min.) 28 CFU/100mls.

D.Mak

Anonymous
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2010 12:05 PM

Michael any luck yet? Will be starting a Trial run with the Test being placed at the end of the Finals, end of this Month(june)or beginning of July. We have been extended 1 yr. to try this instead of dechlor. or U.V.

D.Mak

D.Mak
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2010 12:21 PM

I feel like I'm posting messages in my log book and nobodys paying any attention to my entries. Looks Like Michaels a no show since Jan. 28th. anybody else looking into or considering P.A.A. for their Wastewater Treatment Plant, please give me a shout.

Victor Santa Cruz
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2010 9:08 PM

D. Mak:

It is unfortunate that WEF Forum has gone down the drain in regards to postings and perhaps most important of all the responses that used to be posted on a regular basis.  Anyway, I spend most of my time at a different water and wastewater forum due to the worldwide participation at:

http://www.waterandwastewater.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=general

and the lab forum at:

http://www.waterandwastewater.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=lab1

If you need case studies in the use of paracetic acid PAA in regards to disinfection capabilities send me an e-mail.  I'll try to respond promptly.

D.Mak
Posted: Friday, June 25, 2010 8:31 AM

Hi Victor,

Thanks for the reply, I've signed up to the linked site you provided,It's been 72 hrs. still no registration received in my E-Mail.

Mark Milne
Posted: Friday, July 2, 2010 12:47 PM

I would think there could be problems with this stuff being used on wastewater effluent. What would it do to BOD and how is it neutralized before discharge. Isn't the break down product acetic acid that has a BOD value?

Mark

D.Mak
Posted: Tuesday, July 6, 2010 10:33 AM

Hi Mark, yes you are correct, it appears that P.A.A. also has its draw backs as you mention. I've asked that not only monitor Bac-t,  monitor  C.B.O.D., B.O.D., Ammonium, on the  Chain of Custody and sample for these Parameters at the Discharge some several Killometers away where the Effluent discharges to the receiving streem.