WEF Discussions — Now on LinkedIn!

WEF is pleased to announce the creation of free LinkedIn groups associated with its technical discussion forum topics. Through these LinkedIn groups, members will be able to view and participate in discussions, as well as communicate with one another via direct messages. Share your experiences and knowledge, ask questions and respond to other discussions as frequently as you like!

You must have a LinkedIn profile to join a LinkedIn group; you can create your profile here. If you already have a LinkedIn profile, all you need to do is submit a request to join one or all of the following groups:

Water Environment Federation (Main) | Biosolids | Collection Systems | Nutrients | Stormwater 
Utility Management | Water Reuse | Water for Jobs | Watershed Management | Laboratory Practices 

RSS Feed Print
alum in raw sludge vs methane production
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 10:16 AM

I have a few questions for the group.

Over the last four weeks I have had the raw sludge sampled for alum content. So far the results are not that good. The first sample revealed an alum content of 4100 mg/L and the second sample tested at 6100 mg/L. The results of the last two test are not in as yet.

One of our digesters is under construction and the other has gone sour and we have stopped feeding it in an effort to assist in the recovery of the process. It's capacity is 2272 m3 (500000 gals) and it was being fed 57 m3/d.

My questions are, will the alum cause the digester to go sour? Is there a study or analysis done along these lines? What can be done to counteract this effect other than stop feeding the unit? Has anyone experienced something like this at their plant?